Northern Ireland Local Authority Statistics on Managed Municipal Waste Collections
On 26 October, the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) of Northern Ireland (NI) released the management statistics for municipal waste collected by local authorities from April to June 2023.
The quarterly statistical report contains provisional information on key measurements of local authority collected municipal waste for councils and waste management groups in NI.
The key points of the latest report are:
- Northern Ireland’s councils collected 267,107 tonnes of waste from April to June 2023, more than the 263,355 tonnes collected from April to June 2022.
- During April to June 2023, 53.6% of waste collected by councils was sent for recycling, more than the 52.8% recorded during April to June 2022.
- The landfill rate for waste collected by councils was 20.2% from April to June 2023, less than the 22.5% recorded during April to June 2022.
- A quarter (24.6%) of waste arisings were sent for energy recovery in April to June 2023 which was more than the 23.1% reported in April to June 2022.
- Household waste accounted for 87.6% of all local authority collected waste during this period.
- The recycling rate for household waste was 53.8% in April to June 2023, the same as the rate recorded for April to June 2022. The landfill rate for household waste was 19.8%, less than the 21.8% recorded in April to June 2022.
To read more, including where to access the report, please click here.