Consultation on the Ban of Wet Wipes Containing Plastic
On 14 October, DEFRA launched a consultation on the proposed ban of the manufacture, supply and sale of wet wipes containing plastic. The consultation, for both the UK Government and Devolved Administrations, is focused on addressing the impact wet wipes containing plastic have on the environment.
The consultation is open for six weeks, closing on 25 November 2023.
DEFRA is seeking views on:
- The likely impact of the proposed ban on the businesses who manufacture, supply or sell wet wipes containing plastic.
- The likely impact of the proposed ban for consumers, particularly for those with protected characteristics, e.g. disabled people.
- Any wider impacts of keeping plastic containing wet wipes in circulation.
- Any wider impacts of wipes marketed as alternative or plastic-free.
- The composition of alternative wet wipes.
- If any exemptions are needed for wet wipes containing plastic.
- The proposed timeframe for the commencement of the ban.
For more information, including the full consultation document and how and where to submit responses, please click here.